Monday, December 29, 2008

Moral confusion facilitates fraud

80% of us suffer from "moral confusion".

80% of us will engage (indulge?) in some form of illegal or unacceptable activity if the motive (need), opportunity and an acceptable rationalisation is present.

We all have our own unique moral code. What we are be prepared to do or not to do has nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not it is illegal.

What we will do depends on our own moral code, we will break a law but will never violate our own moral standards.

It's what YOU think is acceptable that dictates your behaviour, not what the law says is acceptable.

Your moral code is a living thing, it is continually being formed by your world view, the circumstances in your life, what you see, think, feel and experience.

The key question is "What are you prepared to do?"

Would you cheat on your taxes? Take home company assets for personal use? Cheat on your expenses? Inflate your travel claim? "Adjust" company revenue to get better results? Bill clients for hours not worked or work not done?

The list can be endless.

The point is when moral confusion (I set my own standards), motive or need (I need money, my car has broken, my cat is sick), opportunity (I do my own time sheets so I will just bill a few extra hours, who will ever know that I did not actually work the hours) and rationalisation (they pay badly, they don't appreciate me, the boss hates me, everybody does it, I will make it up next month, it's not really illegal) meet fraud results.

Think this through.

What are your moral standards? Do you have motive and opportunity? Can you rationalise?

What will your moral code allow you to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment